Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions to help avoid confusion. Feel free to message our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TheUoBLinguistMagazine/ ) or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions that aren’t on this list!
How do I write for the magazine?
To write for us, you have to become a member on the Guild of Students’ website (see ‘How do I become a member?’ below for more details). Once you have done this, head to Facebook and get in touch with the editor of the section you want to write for. The section editors can be contacted via the pages below:
- Culture- https://www.facebook.com/UOBlinguistculture/
- Life and Style- https://www.facebook.com/groups/323682721516606/
- Travel- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421900844691659/?ref=br_rs
- Current Affairs- https://www.facebook.com/UoBLinguistCA/
- Food and Drink- https://www.facebook.com/UoBLinguistFoodandDrink/
- Spanish- https://www.facebook.com/UoBSpanishLinguist/
- French- https://www.facebook.com/FrenchLinguistUoB/
- German- https://www.facebook.com/UoBLinguistGerman2019/
- Portuguese- https://www.facebook.com/linguistmagportuguese/?ref=br_rs
- Catalan- https://www.facebook.com/UoB-Linguist-Magazine-Catalan-201920-286284458626910/?ref=search&tn=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARDm295AhTExOje70PDz5UqTBh4Btnha8kkBRY66XGLEFvNXHRrp4ZtDkF2H1CxgyhKcaO1V6nmhKnZv
- Italian- Message Flick Hemming
- Russian- Message Georgia Boote
- Mandarin- https://www.facebook.com/groups/428054400649144/
How do I write for the blog?
To write for the blog, you also need to purchase your membership. Once you have done this, email us or message our Facebook page with your post idea and we’ll publish it once it is finished! If you are writing in a foreign language for the blog, please try to find a native speaker to proof read your post.
What is the difference between blog posts and articles?
There are a few differences between blog posts and articles:
- Blog posts are not published in the print edition of the magazine.
- You can publish an unlimited number of times on the blog, whereas you are limited to writing a maximum of 6 times a year (once per edition, unless discussed with the committee) in the print edition.
- You don’t have to write for a specific section on the blog- provided that it broadly fits in with the Linguist’s style, anything goes!
- There is no word limit. Normal articles usually have to be either 300 or 600 words due to our strict printing rules. Blog posts can be as along or as short as you’d like!
How do I become a member?
To become a member of the Linguist Magazine, head to our page on the Guild of Students’ website: https://www.guildofstudents.com/studentgroups/societies/linguist/ . Once you have done this, log in with your Student ID and add a membership to your basket, and then click ‘checkout’ in the top-right corner. If you have any issues with your payment, please contact the Guild of Students directly.
Do you host regular social events?
The magazine is mainly run online, as many of our editors are currently on a year abroad. We do, however, host occasional social events. Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram pages to find out about these!